Friday, August 7, 2009

Eureka!

I am a scavenger by nature. I am willing to slog through piles of nothing to find that wonderful something. I have been trying to convince my husband of the value of this trait for some time, and I think I finally found the “something” that will do it.

Estate sales and auctions never fail to amaze me. You would assume that all the swarms of people that line up an hour in advance are quite skilled at spotting the diamond in the rough. Usually that makes me second guess my taste when all the things I think are fabulous are overlooked by all these seasoned pros. Not any more. I just got a big dose of confidence that I do, in fact, have some idea of what I am doing. (at least for the moment)

At a recent estate auction in Sammamish, of all places, I hit the proverbial “jackpot”! I found a pristine condition original Robert Deyber painting. As I am not an art collector, I must admit that I didn’t know exactly how spectacular a find this was, but I did have some idea that it was special. Turns out, I was right.

2009-7-31 033 This amazing piece of surrealist art is titled “Killing Two Birds with One Stone”. I am embarrassed to show this picture as my camera and I basically butchered it, but hopefully you can get a sense of it.

I will not be so bold as to try to describe the art or the artist, except to say you would be well served to check out his work at the Martin Lawrence Gallery or at his own website, robertdeyber.com.

I am giddy with the thrill of a successful hunt, and hopefully will use this momentum to post more of my incredible recent finds. Look for the most amazing smoked glass 70’s crescent desk that I will be posting in the next day or two, as well as some other pieces that I’m sure you just can’t live without.

1 comment: